For your convenience, some of the most common questions we receive are answered below:

Q: How do I report a crime?

A: Criminal reports should be made directly to your local law enforcement agency. Crimes committed within the city limits of Baxter Springs, Galena, or Columbus, should be reported to the respective police department. Crimes committed elsewhere in the County should be reported to the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Department.

Q: How do I get a restraining order, also known as a Protection from Abuse Order (PFA) or Protection from Stalking Order (PFS)?

A: PFA and PFS proceedings are civil in nature and therefore not handled by the County Attorney’s Office. PFAs and PFSs may be obtained pro se by contacting the Clerk of the District Court directly, by hiring a private attorney, or by contacting Kansas Legal Services.